Colonoscopy Bowel Preparation – MOVIPREP
(“Moviprep” is also available in all major pharmacies)
(Please do not follow the instruction inside the box)
The preparation is: 3 days low fibre diet, 1 day clear fluids and drinking bowel wash out the night before the test
7 DAYS BEFORE THE TEST:
Return the Pre-admission form. We will confirm your appointment when this form has been reviewed.
3 DAYS BEFORE THE TEST: (for example: if your test is on a Thursday, STOP the following on the Monday before)
- IRON TABLETS must be stopped.
- STOP EATING FOODS THAT CONTAIN NUTS, SEEDS, GRAINS, PEELS / SKIN (e.g. apple, pear, peach, nectarine) and vegetables with peel/skin intact (e.g. corn, peas, capsicum):
- If you are prone to constipation, or get constipated on a low fibre diet, take 1 sachet of Movicol twice daily until you begin MOVIPREP
|Wholegrain bread, fibre enriched white bread, wholemeal (brown) rice or pasta, corn meal, cereals, muesli, muesli bars, oats (porridge)||Plain white bread / panini / English muffins white toast / French toast, Cornflakes, Rice Bubbles, white flour, white pasta, white rice|
|Casseroles or dishes containing vegetables
||Lean beef, pork, lamb, veal, fish, poultry, eggs, sausages, bacon, meat curries (no onion) Plain meat / steak and bacon pies, tofu, meat substitutes|
|Strawberries, passionfruit, citrus fruit, grapes, tomato, capsicum, peas, corn, onions. Legumes, such as baked beans or kidney beans, lentils, barley, split peas. All fruit and vegetable skins and seeds||
Clear strained fruit juice (clear apple, clear pear)
strained vegetable juice (V8). Skin free pumpkin and potato (mashed, steamed, baked) potato salad – with mayonnaise, egg, ham
Coconut, dried fruit, nuts, sultanas, raisins, seeds eg linseed, sesame, sunflower, poppy. Fruit yoghurt, Jevity, Sustagen Hospital with fibre Nutrison Multi Fibre.
|All milks, plain yoghurt, cheese, white sauces, sour cream, butter, margarine, oil, mayonnaise, plain ice cream, meringue, custard
|Jams and marmalades with skins, seeds or peel, peanut butter, mustard, most relishes||Vegemite, honey, cheese spread, fish and meat paste|
|AVOID ALL FIBRE SUPPLEMENTS SUCH AS: Metamucil, Normafibe, Normacol Plus, Nucolox, Psyllium, Benefiber, Fybogel||Strained broths, clear soups, beef tea, soup cubes, Water include at least 6 – 8 glasses per day, Soda water, tea, coffee, Bonox, Bovril, cordial (no red or green cordial), Milo, Aktavite, Sustagen, Ensure, Digestilact, Water|
1 DAY BEFORE THE TEST
Eat low fibre food. STOP 24 hours before your admission time. START CLEAR FLUIDS.
|CLEAR FLUIDS: Water, fruit juice with no pulp e.g. clear apple, pear or grape juice (but not tomato, carrot or orange), clear soups, e.g. chicken soup broth, stock cubes, barley sugars, tea and coffee without milk, soft drinks, cordials and Lucozade. Jelly and lollies are permissible but avoid red/ black/purple ones as they colour the bowel.|
- IT IS IMPORTANT TO DRINK AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID DEHYDRATION.
- Sorbent Clean and Fresh or Kleenex Fresh wet wipes reduce anal pain from wiping once you start taking Moviprep.
- DO NOT take oral medication 1 hour either side of drinking MOVIPREP as it might not be absorbed.
A box of MOVIPREP has 2 identical packets each with 2 sachets marked A and B that you mix with 1 Litre of water. Mix well and refrigerate if you like. The preparation works quickly and the effects last for 2 -3 hours, or longer in some cases. The preparation will cause multiple bowel movements and watery stools.
Follow 1. OR 2. Depending on the time of your procedure
|1. Procedure time (8am to 10:30am)||2. Procedure time (after 10:30am)|
|The day before your procedure:
1st dose: At 7pm prepare and then drink the 1 litre of MOVIPREP over 1 hour (1 cup every 15mins is recommended). Follow by 500mls (2 cups) of water in the next 30 mins. It is important to finish the full 1L of MOVIPREP.Continue clear fluids AND PREPARE YOUR SECOND DOSE OF MOVIPREP
2nd dose: At 10pm. Repeat as above.
On the day of the procedure, you can drink water but STOP 3 HOURS BEFORE procedure time (Maximum 200 mls/hr).
Do not chew gum
|The day before your procedure:
1st dose: At 7pm the night before prepare and then drink the 1 litre of MOVIPREP over 1 hour (1 cup every 15mins is recommended). Follow by 500mls (2 cups) of clear fluids in the next 30 mins. It is important to finish the full 1L of MOVIPREP.
2nd Dose: At 10 pm Make up your second dose and drink 500ml of the 2nd dose then follow by 250mls of Clear Fluids.
Continue clear fluids: Before you go to bed, put the last 500ml of MOVIPREP in the Fridge
3rd Dose: MOVIPREP:
At 6am On the day of the procedure: Complete the rest of 500ml of the 2nd dose preparation followed by 100ml of water.You can drink water but STOP 3 HOURS BEFORE the admission time. (Maximum of 200 mls/hr).Do not chew gum
ON THE DAY OF THE TEST:
- Bring your referral, blood test results (if applicable), Xrays, Medicare card/Health Fund card/Pension, DVA or HCC.
- DO NOT wear nail polish; ladies do not wear pantyhose. Wear clothing that is easy to put on and remove
- e.g. track-suit pants.
- NOTHING by mouth for at least 3 hours before the test, important medications (e.g. heart or blood
- pressure medications) may be taken with a small sip of water 3 Hours before.
- You will be here approximately 3-4 hours
- NO driving until the next day, ORGANISE FOR SOMEONE TO ESCORT YOU HOME, OTHERWISE YOUR PROCEDURE WILL NOT BE DONE.
- You can return to work the next day (we can provide a medical certificate).
- In order for us to dedicate as much time and care as necessary for each procedure and patient, we ask you to be patient if we are running behind schedule. You may wish to bring some reading material. If you live close you can phone to ask if we are running on time.
- A cancellation fee will apply if 48 hours is not given. Call 9387 1738 as soon as possible to inform of cancellation.